WHAT Makes Foley better?
Accessible 365 days a year. classes and tutoring 300+ days a year.
Private tutoring for a wide range of tests and academic topics and an ACT/SAT program that is the most effective and simple to join anywhere. We are almost always open 6 days a week and offer 2 SAT classes and 2 ACT classes every night - and more on weekends.
Flexible scheduling & easy to join
We recommend 10 or more Foley Prep classes or private tutoring appointments between any two tests. Students can join any week, pause, then continue. View our getting started page.
Local owner-operator going strong since 2006
All tutoring and classes take place in Foley Prep Hubs, spaces that are designed to inspire. Foley Prep is a close, personal owner-operated boutique business based in New Jersey since 2006. We're the best prep option in the smartest state in the land. View Foley Hub locations.
Targeted, relevant, and fun prep
Foley Prep Pros are experts in each topic and strategy and continually adapt methods, topics, and questions to address the needs of every class. We make sure students never repeat the same material. With top test scores and degrees from Yale, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and the Rutgers College Honors Program, our team rocks. View team.
Foley Prep is not one-size-fits-alL
Our hubs hold 12 SAT and 12 ACT two-hour classes each week. Each session zeroes in on exact topics to help individual students address their weaknesses. Our teachers and staff will help you select which classes on the phone or in person. Note: for students already scoring in the top or bottom 10%, we recommend private tutoring. View today's class schedule.
Very Small classes = Personalized lessons
Max class size: 8 students. Average student-teacher ratio is 3 to 1. We personalize each 2hr lesson and address students' questions so no two lessons are the same. Boot camps can go up to 20 students, are not personalized, yet are highly effective as intensive reviews the week before each test.
Practice SATs and ACTs every weekend for increased accountability
We proctor SATs and ACTs every weekend during the school year and more frequently during the summer. We suggest students take these tests regularly, about every 3-4 sessions. Feedback is immediate and personalized tips and strategies are included. Individual test reviews are arranged by request as hourly tutoring sessions. View practice test schedule.
Foley Prep Pros are in for the long haul
Our year-round, salaried, full-time Foley Prep Pros are committed to your child's success. What other prep service builds in up to 2 hours of prep time for each teacher, every day? View team.
Great value on 1-on-1 private tutoring and class packages. View pricing.
Meet your Foley Prep Pro online if you can't meet at a hub. Some students do both - some weeks online, others in person, while others meet entirely in person, while still others meet entirely online. Your choice!
Foley Prep Pros meet in our Foley Hubs for almost all academic subjects through college level Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Reading and Writing. Tests include SSAT, ISEE, COOP, SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, and MCAT, among others.
We recommend at least 10 hours of tutoring and 2-3 practice tests between SAT or ACT administrations.
ACT & SAT Classes
Foley Prep Pros have scored in the top 1% on their tests and have degrees from Yale, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, and the Rutgers College Honors Program. They are experts in the SAT and ACT and with plenty of prep time each day, personalize each lesson so each student makes progress.
We recommend taking at least 10 classes and 2-3 practice tests between each test administration.
Live from Foley Prep Studios in the Bell Labs Building in Holmdel, NJ! Eight Nobel Laureates worked here.
Liam is spearheading our growing Online Division and will guide each client through the simple set up process. Foley Prep Pros who have proven themselves as effective online communicators will be paired up with your child for convenient, effective sessions in any subject area or for test prep.
Call 732-412-1416 now to get started with online private tutoring.
College Admissions Consulting
Ron has been a college admissions pro since 1992. He has personally helped more than 5,000 students get into their top choice colleges. College Prep begins back in 8th grade for students aiming at the Ivy League. Ron's growing team of admissions folks and essay helpers on staff can take a lot of stress out of the process.
Success is following on success. Two of Ron's admissions students started at Yale in Fall 2017. One started Dartmouth, one Cornell, and plenty of other students are thrilled to get into their top-choice colleges.
Admissions Consulting is a concierge service. Please call 732-412-1416 today to get on the list.
Notables about our services and subjects taught:
- SAT and ACT small classes (max size 8 students) and private, 1-on-1 tutoring.
- Practice full-length, official SATs and ACTs every weekend.
- HS entrance exam prep for MCVSD, SSAT, COOP, and ISEE.
- Graduate school exam prep for LSAT, GRE, GMAT, MCAT.
- Academic subject tutoring college prep, honors, AP-level, and college-level. Algebra, Geometry, PreCalculus, Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Computer Science (Java, Python, C, C++), English Literature, History, Environmental Science, and more.
- Concierge admissions consulting for prep schools, college, and graduate school.
- Boot Camps for SAT and ACT Monday-Friday leading up to most SAT and ACT tests.
Getting started with Foley
Private tutoring first steps...
Our tutors are in demand and time is limited, so the earlier you book, the more likely you will get the time you want. Most SAT and ACT prepsters start with a practice test. View practice test schedule. We have them every weekend, so they are a great way to come in and get the vibe of the Foley Prep Hub experience. Most people start this way:
- Call us to make a plan 732-412-1416
- For SAT and ACT prepsters, sign up for a free a practice test to get a baseline score. This step is optional, but helpful for us to start seeing individual strengths and weaknesses.
- Come to regular appointments once or twice a week for a few months.
- Continually take practice tests to motivate progress.
Foley private tutoring notables:
- We are working on the online booking system, for now we book via email, phone, and text.
- All tutoring takes place in our hubs or online (if you wish).
- We pair prepsters up with tutors who will continue to work with students. Foley Prep Pros act as a team, we may suggest a change in tutors, or you may wish to change tutors. We put students at the center of this experience, not ourselves.
- We do not ask our tutors to stretch beyond their areas of expertise - AP Calculus teachers know how to teach AP Calculus, for instance.
- All tutoring reservations are made with a $50 nonrefundable prepayment.
ACT & SAT classes first steps...
You don't have to follow these steps in order. Take your time, then contact us.
- Call us to make a plan 732-412-1416. We won't give you a sales pitch. We will give you the best advice on how to use our program and some tips about which tests and when to take them.
- If you are a mobile user, get the Foley Prep app. Or view the complete schedule on the booking site. Everyone is welcome to sign up and take 2 free, full-length practice tests before joining our program. Most prepsters start with a practice test, but it's okay to start by taking a class. "Open" classes are designed as good starting points, but you are welcome to start with any class on our schedule. Content and strategies are introduced and reinforced in each class.
- View and purchase a package or buy an individual class. This gets you access to our online reservation system. Please book classes at least 24 hours in advance so that we can design the best experience for your child.
Foley ACT/SAT class notables:
- We ask that students register at least 24 hours in advance so we can personalize each lesson. There are no penalties for "dropping in" or "dropping out" of a particular class just before it happens.
- Our Continuous Class Program is designed so that students can start anytime, pause, and continue.
- There is no particular order to the classes. Each class is meant to be a standalone experience. Registering 24 hours in advance for class gives our Foley Prep Pros time to personalize each lesson by looking into each prepster's test records and notes we keep to ensure progress.
- Because the SAT and ACT have a lot of overlap in content, it makes the most sense to prep for one test, but plan to take both tests soon after you've prepped.
- We recommend at least 10 classes between taking the actual tests.
- Class packages may be used for Boot Camp sessions for the SAT and ACT
- We recommend taking a Foley Prep practice test every 3-4 or so classes. Think of them as motivational homework, not just measurement. Don't expect immediate, linear gains, rather, focus on integrating Foley Prep teachings to become a better problem-solver.
Three common scenarios
Every student is unique, thus we have designed a program that is not-one-size-fits all. Here are just three scenarios that might help you get some ideas to plan ahead. We look forward to helping you develop (and put into action) the particular plan for your child.
Class student 1 - most typical
Most students start getting serious about prepping during the summer between sophomore and junior year. Many "rising juniors" take early bird tests (July ACT and August SAT) and then take another SAT and/or ACT in December of their junior year. While we all hope for an early homerun, the reality is that most juniors do not hit their peak until spring. Taking an official test by December of junior year makes strategic sense and is part of the process of mastering the test.
Bottom line: Most prepsters plan on taking 1 or 2 Foley Prep classes every week for 3 or so months before December of their junior year, and then return for more in the spring of their junior year. Some go for even more gains into the summer between junior and senior years.
We recommend that students take 10 or more classes between taking actual SATs and ACTs.
Class student 2 - advanced placement
Some students are in advanced classes as sophomores (Honors Precalculus, for instance). These students often take an ACT and an SAT at the end of their sophomore year, and again during the summer. They are also in a good position to achieve National Merit status when taking the PSAT in their junior year.
Foley Prep SAT and ACT classes and tutoring will help these students, of course. Many students who start in the mid-20's range ACT and the mid 1200's range SAT go up 6-7+ and 200+ points respectively. It takes work and focus, but we have seen kids get National Merit scholarships who never thought they ever had a shot.
We recommend that students take 10 or more classes between taking actual SATs and ACTs.
tutoring Vs. Classes
Tutoring is a concierge educational choice that is a great option for many. We pair students with a Foley Prep Pro for the long haul and will change tutors only at the request of the student or parent. Our Foley Prep Pro team puts your child's improvement at the center of the process.
Foley Prep classes cater to the most discriminating clients, but sometimes private tutoring is the only way to go. If a student comes to us in the high or low ends score-wise, we often ask that they go right into tutoring. That means students scoring 1400 SAT or 30 ACT or higher and below 960 SAT and 20 ACT. After a time, we may suggest classes that are suitable, but very-fine tuned prep is the way to start.
Please understand that our prices and policies are based on robust knowledge of the market and allow us to focus on helping students learn. We want to educate students, not haggle. Thus, we appreciate families who need our help yet also understand that everything is not negotiable. We ask that students register for classes at least 24 hours in advance so that we may personalize each lesson for the students in the class. If you are interested in private tutoring, please contact us at your earliest convenience as our tutoring slots are filling up fast.
- A $50 nonrefundable prepayment is required to book all private tutoring appointments.
- We ask that all students register for classes at least 24 hours in advance. This helps us personalize each lesson.
- The 30-Day Unlimited SAT ACT package will go up to $800 January 1, 2018. Foley students who have started taking classes using that package before January 1, 2018 can renew for the present fee, $700, until January 1, 2019.
All students are welcome to take up to 2 free full-length, official practice tests before enrolling in Foley Prep. Non-Foley Prepsters will be charged $50 after taking 2 tests, Foley Prep package-holders have a certain number of tests included. We suggest taking an ACT and an SAT. This will help us determine which test you want to prep the most for, although we strongly advise all students to take at least one actual SAT and ACT.
NOTE: to book private tutoring, call 732-412-1416
New to Foley? Start with a practice test to get a baseline score or jump right into an "Open" SAT or ACT class! "Open" SAT and ACT classes are meant to be taken many times. We concentrate on specific topics in each class but use different problem sets. By registering more than 24 hours in advance, you give our Foley Prep Pros time to personalize the lesson to address the needs of your child.
- Use the drop-down menus and forward and back buttons to navigate our schedules.
- Click on the class name to get a description of each class.
- Pressing "sign up" will take you to registration and enrollment where you can pay for classes and join.
- We do allow drop-ins if the class is not closed. Registering early helps us to customize each lesson to address the specific needs of your child.
- Max class size is 8 students. We allow up to 20 in boot camps. Average class size is 3 students.
Questions? Call us now 732-412-1416.
Saturdays and Sundays. Everyone can take 1 free ACT or 1 free SAT before enrolling in Foley Prep.
It has begun...
We are in the process of launching Foley Prep Online - the place for 1-on-1 academic and test prep tutoring. We are starting by giving clients access to our best teachers who have worked with us. As we certify and add teachers, you'll have more options, of course.
Trusted Foley Prep Pros
You get access to teachers who have proven themselves as effective communicators online. They are experts in the topics they teach and will become the trusted guide as students improve their scores, grades, understanding, and confidence.
You can view the schedule below to book a tutor at whichever time works for you. No driving, no noisy coffee shops. Learn at your convenience in a comfortable place.
For the past 3 years, Foley Prep tutoring students have enjoyed being able to meet instructors in person and also online. Foley Prep Online is a continuation and expansion of this service.
Foley Prep Online Notables:
- Please call us at 732-412-1416 to book appointments. The online schedule below only shows a limited number of appointments as we continue build the scheduling system.
- While the official launch date is October 19, 2017, we are building off 3 years' experience with online tutoring.
- We are adding new instructors every day as we certify their mastery of topics and ability to convey the material in an online setting.
- Foley Prep Hub students can opt to meet with their tutors online. If you are a current student, please call us to arrange online appointments.
Foley prep Team
Ron Foley opened his first office in Watchung in 2006. When Steve - Ron's college buddy - joined in, they co-founded the newer, bigger Warren Hub in 2013 that we expanded in 2014. Our students' success is our success, and we will continue to expand and conquer all of New Jersey by opening unique places of inspiration, the Foley Prep Hubs.
Professor Foley was inspired to become a tutor at an early age by his SAT tutor, the late Myles Bass, who was a Wharton Professor and all-around great guy. Ron taught for The Princeton Review when he was in college, then spent a decade working for Kaplan and The Princeton Review (when they used to be good companies to work for). He then went deep into the classroom, teaching Multivariable Calculus, Geometry, and Algebra 1 at Watchung Hills High School for two years before earning his tenure as Professor of Mathematics at Middlesex County College.
Over the years, our teachers have built up relationships with families throughout New Jersey and we look forward to cultivating the same kind of deep, caring relationships as we grow into the future.
Students learn better in the distraction-free, relaxed environment of our learning centers that are similar to their school environments in which they will take tests. Studies have shown that students do better when they are conditioned to learning and testing in similar settings.
Above all else, students need to be at ease. A growth mindset can be taught. The world isn't getting simpler, but basic, time-tested methods are available to help students learn how to learn. Learning accelerates when we can consciously "fold back" to prior knowledge while filling holes to build skills. Students and teachers should be free to use their natural language, which, to some, is mere "street talk," but to most kids this is an essential part of igniting their higher reasoning abilities.
Good writing rocks. Learning how to write well is extremely important and unfortunately kids are not asked to revise their writing enough.
Funny helps. But forced funny sucks. Every kid is different; we don't do canned jokes. We keep it fresh, but not overly fresh.
Test Prep is worthwhile, but many people go overboard. Take the extra hundred hours you might spend on test prep and learn to ride a horse, get a job, or immerse yourself in a project. Colleges value those things more than the extra 50 points that might result from too much test prep.
Getting into college is just the start. Kids need to be careful about debt and what they are majoring in. This is not a major worry for most of our tutoring students. Nevertheless, we help students make smart, practical long-term decisions in the fast-changing education market.
Cool spaces that are conducive to learning. Studies have shown that students do better when they study in environments that are similar to the environments in which they will be assessed. Though our locations are places of learning, they don't carry the "school" vibe!
Foley Prep Warren Township Hub
Our home turf. Ron opened his first 1-classroom office in Watchung in 2006, then expanded into our 9-classroom facility in 2013. We're right in between WHRHS and the Valley Mall in an industrial space on the opposite side from Pure Energy Fitness.
221 Stirling Rd
Suites A & C
Warren, NJ 07059
Sa & Su 9a–5p
First office opened in 2006
This is a shot from Ron's first office - a one-classroom, one office affair in the back of a real estate building in Watchung. We moved into our huge, 9-classroom Warren facility in 2013.
Foley Prep Bell Works - Holmdel Hub
We fell in love with the Bell Works "metroburb" project back in May 2017, and now our new, flagship hub is open. This is the famous Bell Labs building, an icon of mid-century modern architecture by the true master, Eero Saarinen. Foley Prep Hub has Saarinen tables and chairs in our hub as an homage. Worth a visit just to be inspired!
101 Crawfords Corner Rd
Holmdel, NJ 07733
Sa & Su 9a–5p
@ Bell Works
That's Liam tutoring a Ranney student in math. We have an excellent team in Holmdel. Shhh... whenever we open a new location, our "class" students are often treated to 1-on-1 tutoring.
Foley Prep Rumson-Fair Haven Hub
We moved into the Fair Haven Commons complex summer of 2017. It's the perfect location for us to serve those who don't want to travel to our Bell Works - Holmdel facility, although everyone is welcome to take classes at any Foley Prep Hub. We have 5 full-time Foley Prep Pros working in the Foley Prep Rumson-Fair Haven Hub. Friends and neighbors are always welcome for a visit!
740 River Rd
Fair Haven, NJ 07704
Sa & Su 9a–5p
Fair Haven Commons
Our Rumson-Fair Haven office is in the same building as The Raven and the Peach restaurant. Take the same driveway and look for a brick staircase. We're just upstairs.
Berkeley Aquatic Club - New Providence
We love swimmers! So, we joined forces with the Berkeley Aquatic Club to offer test prep and academic tutoring at convenient times to those in the club and to any Foley Prep student. This is a satellite hub - we don't offer practice tests here. It is convenient to our Chatham and Summit area students and only a 15 minute drive from our Warren Hub, where we do offer tests every weekend.
629 Central Ave
Upstairs - to left
New Providence, NJ 08974
Sa & Su 9a–5p
Do it all on the Foley Prep mobile app!
Foley Fun FaQs
Do you have a search bar in which I can search your site?
Yes. Here it is - enter any keywords to find the information you seek.
Do you tutor at home?
No. All tutoring takes place in one of our Foley Prep Hubs or online.
CAN I DO CLASSES AND PRIVATE TUTORING?
Yes. Many of our clients do a combination of classes and tutoring. Going over a practice test with one of our tutors is an especially good use of time. While we are okay with folks using outside tutors, we recommend that you do all tutoring and classes with us so we can be sure we are not repeating any tests or material. And our approach has proven itself to be most effective!
WHEN DO I BEGIN CLASSES?
There is no specific beginning or end to your test prep. Every student is unique - some students may only need a few classes, while others will be with Foley for a year or more. With our small class sizes and focus on developing a winning mindset, Foley Prep Pros phase in new student into the program seamlessly. Even the highest scoring students will be shown strategies and taught academic concepts that will challenge them in our classes,
IS THERE AN ORDER TO YOUR CLASSES?
Aside from 5 day boot camps, we have designed the program so that each class is modular and tailored to the needs of the group of students in attendance. Small class sizes and dedicated teachers who get 2 hours of prep time each day allow us to personalize each lesson.
DO THE CLASSES EVER REPEAT?
No two classes are exactly alike. Many of the same concepts and strategies will be reviewed, but the specific questions covered do no repeat. Because the SAT and ACT cycle through the same concepts test after test, we have designed our classes to be taken multiple times. We will reinforce concepts and strategies that we see students struggling with, and we personalize each lesson to address the specific needs of the students in class. We do this by keeping track of every student's progress in the classes he or she attends and by looking at his or her test scores. Foley Prep Pros get to work early to customize each lesson for the classes of 3-8 kids they will see that evening.
HOW MUCH WILL MY SCORE GO UP?
Any company that publishes a score increase claim is putting salesmanship over honesty. Score increase claims are so easy to fudge that they are meaningless. Every student starts out in a different place, coming to Foley over time is the best way to maximize your scores.
HOW IMPORTANT ARE PRACTICE TESTS? WHEN DO I GET RESULTS?
Practice tests are very important. Think of taking regular practice tests (one after every 3 or 4 classes) as doing homework, only sitting with 10-15 other students is far more effective than sitting at home and doing sections piecemeal. Students are held accountable by taking tests, and so are we. While we do not encourage students to focus on the number (and often it takes a few tests to see gains), practice tests are one of the best ways to help that number go up. We administer full-length, official practice tests every Saturday and Sunday during the school year. During the summer we offer 4 practice tests every week.
HOW MANY CLASSES SHOULD I TAKE? WHICH ONES?
While some students go to town and do 20 classes and 10 hours of tutoring before sitting for an actual exam, about 10-12 classes between each test seems to work best. Foley Prep has flexible scheduling so no two students have to take the same set of classes. Many students come to us during the summer between sophomore and junior years to get an edge on their prep and to work on fundamentals for their upcoming academic classes.
IS THERE HOMEWORK?
Yes and no. We have designed the program so that students who come to 2 classes a week and take a practice test every 4 classes should be very prepared for an upcoming test. However, we do assign homework after each class and more if a student needs it. We also have a new online course that helps students prep at their own pace as a supplement to the prep they do in person with us.
HOW BIG ARE YOUR CLASSES? DO I NEED TO REGISTER FOR CLASS?
Yes. Please register at least 24 hours in advance so that our Foley Prep Pros can customize their lessons to address each student's specific weakness during that class. Apart from boot camps, which get to 10-20 students, we keep our classes at a 8 student maximum, so registering in advance is important to avoid missing a class because it is closed.